See the 2024 Winter Weather Forecast
for the Lake Superior Region
When will the Bayfield Ice Caves Open?
See our Weather & Snow Report page for the latest weather and snow depth reports for ski, snowmobile trail, and winter sports conditions all around Lake Superior.
Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race
An entertaining family
winter event, Feb 1 - 2
Snowshoeing the hiking trails of the Chequemagon National Forest has been our favorite Northern Wisconsin wintertime activity. We first snowshoe hiked out to the Bayfield Wisconsin & Apostle Island Ice Caves in 2007. In reality, that year the trail was pretty well packed so we didn't need our snowshoes, but a set of ski poles helped manage the ice. That winter we had also hoped to snowshoe hiking trails at Amnicon Falls and Copper Falls State Parks. But the lack of snow in this area changed our plans. In later years there was plenty of snow for snowmobile, ski and snowshoe trails (see Mount Ashwabay), and for the annual Bayfield-Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race.
In addition to snowshoeing, other popular wintertime activities along the south shore include cross country skiing, snowmobiling, sled dog races, ice fishing and catching the various winter festivals.
Below are many of the 2022-23 Wisconsin winter events along the Lake Superior shore communities we know are taking place from Superior, WI to Hurley-Ironwood, plus a link to the wisconsin snow conditions report page.
***Check our Lake Superior Snow Report page for downhill skiing, cross country, or snowmobile snow conditions reports
Due to covid uncertainty many events may be postponed this winter. Check the links for 2021 dates and information.
2022 - 23 Winter & Snow Fest Events - Wisconsin South Shore
- Superior, WI Fairlawn Holiday Events - Nov 22 - Jan 3
- Superior Great Lakes Pond Hockey Classic - Jan 27 - 28
- Bayfield-Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race - Feb
- Lake Superior Ice Fest - Jan 27 - 28, 2023
- Ashland Book Across the Bay Snowshoe & Ski Race - Feb 18, 2023
- American Birkebeiner Cross Country Ski Race - Feb 22 - 26th
- Bayfield Winter Festival First Weekend in March
- Brule River River View Loppet XC Ski Race - Jan 21, 2023
- Winter Dash Obstacle Race - March
- Spring Carnival - Mt. Ashwabay -First weekend in March
- Superior, WI Gitchee Gumee Brew Fest - April 9, 2022
- Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival – May 18-20, 2023
- Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report (see ad below)
Northern Wisconsin Snowboard & Ski Areas near Lake Superior
Winter is a great time to enjoy Wisconsin's northwoods and the Lake Superior shore. You can get some healthy exercise, friendly ambience, and see views and sights not easily seen during the other seasons. One winter weekend we scored a two-for-one, a trek out to the Bayfield Ice Caves and attending the Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race. On our to-do list for the future is attending the "Book Across the Bay" ski and snowshoe event in Ashland.
See what the Bayfield Apostle Islands Sea Caves look like in the summer.
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2023
Lake Superior Travel Directories
Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race. An entertaining family winter event celebrating its 23rd year.
Take a scenic drive of
farms and orchards in the Bayfield area.