Tahquamenon Falls is one of the most impressive waterfalls around Lake Superior. Tahquamenon Falls State Park
See our Video of Rainbow Falls
February 20, 2019.
Madeline Island Ice Road is now open!
The cold weather is also helping freeze over the trail to the Apostle Islands Ice Caves.
A popular wintertime event along the Minnesota North Shore is the annual John Beargrease Marathon and Race from Duluth to Grand Portage.
John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon
Minnesota North Shore January 25 - Feb 2nd. . . . More winter events lower down the page.
Popular Summer Destinations.
To help you plan your upcoming visit to Lake Superior communities, check out our links for weather forecasts at selected points around Lake Superior on our Weather Reports page. If you select the monthly view you can see the historical average highs and lows for the current and subsequent months.
To follow are some of the 2019 winter events in Lake Superior towns and villages you might enjoy.
Selected upcoming Wintertime
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
More Links to Winter Events
What's new on SuperiorTrails.com?
Here's a few recently added or updated articles and features that might interest you:
Agate Finds Black River Harbor
- See agate and agate-wannabes we found along the beach in May 2018.
2017 Grandma's Marathon
- See our article and photos from the 2017 race.
Devil's Island Sea Caves
- We've posted a new video of the Sea Caves from our latest Apostle Islands Boat Cruise.
Agate Success at Little Girls Point
- pictures from our rock picking and beach agate hunting trip in May of 2016. Also cool video of Rainbow Falls.
Best Lake Superior Agate Beaches
- pictures and maps with guides to the top agate hunting and rock picking beaches around the lake.
Madeline Island Town Campground
- pictures and information on the newly remodeled Madeline Island Township Park and Campground, adjacent to Big Bay State Park.
- UP 200 Dog Sled Race
- pictures and article on the 24th running of this 240 mile Iditarod qualifying race
- Munising Snowshoe and Cross-Country Ski Trails
- pictures, links to trail maps, and article on XC ski and snowshoe trails in Pictured Rocks National Park and the Munising area of the Upper Peninsula.
- Lake of the Clouds Scenic Overlook, Porcupine Mountains State Park
- We did our a recent all color trip to the Porcupine Mountains and the Black River Harbor Scenic Byway. Close to Peak Color in the Porkies but a little ahead of peak color at Black River Harbor. Also see our new Hiking & Back-Packing Guide to the Porcupine Mountains.
- Rock On with Lake Superior Agates
- A fun festival and convention of Lake Superior beach rock picking and agate hunting enthusiasts. A fun time and we learned quite abit about collectiing and identifying Lake Superior Agates
- The Duluth Tall Ships Festival
- We had a great time seeing all the classic tall ships in Duluth. They came again in 2016.
- Copper Harbor, Michigan
- some new pictures from the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula
- Keweenaw Scenic Drive
- article and pictures from on our one day scenic drive around the entire Keweenaw peninsula
- Raspberry Island Lighthouse
- We took the Apostle Islands cruise and guided tour of the Lighthouse
- Best Bars & Burgers in Superior, WI
- we added a review of the Shack Smokehouse & Grille in north Superior
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2019
Lake Superior Camping
& Campground Directory
Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.
See the lighthouses on an Apostle Islands Cruise.
See our reviews on Best Hiking and Camping Guides around Lake Superior.