Happy Hikers at the top of Sweetheart's Bluff
Grand Marais Hiking Trails
When we camp at the Municipal Campground, we usually get a fair amount of exercise just walking to and around downtown Grand Marais and the harbor. But for additional exercise and scenic views we take a hike out to Artists Point or up to the top of Sweetheart's Bluff.
Artist Point and Breakwater Lighthouse
Artists Point is the wooded "island" at the end of the spit of land that forms the natural harbor of Grand Marais. The lighthouse is at the end of the breakwater.
The trail to Artists Point and the Lighthouse Breakwater is behind the Coast Guard Station. (click on the map below for details)
< < < Jo relaxing at Artists Point while I hiked out to the end of the peninsula.
The trails around Artists Point aren't marked but you can see some traffic patterns that others often follow. And kids love to explore new ways to get around.
The west end of Artist's Point leads to the breakwater and lighthouse.
Walking along the top of the narrow concrete breakwater can be tricky.
Sweetheart's Bluff Hiking Trail
The Sweetheart's Bluff Trail Head is at the western end of the Municipal Campground. See the picture from Google Maps. > > >
Once at the top you can return along a trail that leads to the lake front and scenic overlooks (see picture). This then joins the wheelchair friendly lake view trail that returns to the trail head.
Other Grand Marais Hiking
Other hiking & scenic vistas can be had at the nearby Pincushioin Mountain, Devil Track River Gorge, Kadunce River and Cascade River Trails. For more info see our article and photos on Fall Hiking in Grand Marais area.
Spring, Summer, and Fall Festivals & Events
- Northern Landscapes Festival - May 31 - June 2, 2017
- Grand Marais Classic Car Show - June (TBA)
- Wooden Boat Show & Summer Soltice Festival - June 16 - 18, 2017
- Fireworks over the Harbor - July 4th
- Grand Marais Arts Festival - July 8 - 9, 2017
- North Shore DragonBoat Festival -
- Fisherman's Picnic - August 3 - 6th, 2017
- Grand Portage Rendezvous Days & Pow-wow - August 11-13, 2017.
- Unplugged Fall Festival - Sept 13 - 18th, 2017
- Moose Madness - Oct 20 -22, 2017
During the winter of 2016 - 17
- Winter's Gathering North House Folk School - Nov 18 - 20, 2017
- Lutsen Mountain SnowVenture Holiday TBA
- Grand Marais Christmas Parade - Nov 27th
- O Ole Night Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting - Nov 25
- Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race - Jan 7- 8
- John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Jan 31 - Feb 4th
- Northern Fibers Retreat Feb 16th - 19th
- Grand Marais WinterFestTBA
More Grand Marais Links - things to see and do
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2017
Lake Superior Camping
& Campground Directory
Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.
North Shore Fall Colors from the top of Moose Mountain.
Enjoying lake breezes and views at the Canal Park Brewery Beer Garden - Canal Park.