Looking from downtown Grand Marais Harbor towards Sweetheart's Bluff
Grand Marais Campground
Grand Marais & Grand Portage, MN Pages on SuperiorTrails
When camping or in the RV, we usually stay at the Municipal Campground located at the base of Sweetheart's Bluff. It has a nice breeze off the lake, adequately spacious sites and bounded by lakeshore on two sides and woods on the remainder. Remote enough from traffic and noise, yet within walking distance to downtown.
Restaurants in Grand Marais, MN
We enjoy fresh caught Whitefish at the Angry Trout Cafe, their attentive service, and a great view of the lake. This particular day was a little too cool to be out on the deck, but when the weather is warmer, like in the picture to the right, it's a great place for a brew and/or a sandwich - cool breeze and great scenery.
Next door to the Angry Trout is the Dockside Fish Market. Much more casual dining and deli-style service, but excellent fresh seafood and reasonably priced. In 2017 during the Wooden Boat Show Festival we had their Lake Trout Fish Basket. Five or six pieces totaling 8 ounces, lightly breaded, served hot, flakey, excellent taste. The Cole Slaw side was homemade with red and white cabbage, carrots, and dill and a very tasty dressing. They also had a decent selection of beers. We've been visiting Grand Marais for over 15 years and this was our first time to eat here. Won't be our last for sure!
Sven & Ole's is a popular pizza parlor. Two stories of dining inside plus slices to go available in their sidewalk stand.
We usually grab lunch at the Gunflint Tavern but wanted to try something different during the Grand Marais Car Show so we stopped in at the Harbor House Grille. We had their deluxe burgers with potato wedge fries. We rated the burgers as good as many of the best burgers in Duluth and loved the potato wedge fries.
We rarely miss a stop at the World's Best Donut shop, a favorite for morning coffee and pastries.. Here Jo and Hans are entering the outdoor garden. Since we've gotten some good exercise walking from the campground, we figured a maple donut or elephant ear won't hurt that much!
Other Interesting Places to See & Things to Do
The North House Folk School is on the harbor between the Angry Trout and the Grand Marais Campground. They have a nice little bookstore and gift shop and you can peek in the workshops as fledgling artisans are learning various crafts. My fantasy is to spend a week there constructing a rowing skiff; Jo's is doing a landscape quilt. The sailing schooner docks here too.
A blast from the past! Joyner's Ben Franklin Dept Store is not to be missed. A ton of merchandise stacked to the ceiling; I think if you can't find it at Joyner's it may not exist. Veteran sales personnel to guide your browsing and reasonable prices.
The protected Grand Marais harbor is a great spot to get introduced to the kayaking paddlesport and kayak touring or to begin an extended journey exploring the Lake Superior shoreline.
Kayak Photo courtesy of Bryan Hansel, North Shore Expeditions.
Lighthouse & Artists Point
< < < The harbor lighthouse on a cloudy day.
View of Grand Marais from the Breakwater Lighthouse
See more photos and information on hiking out to Artists Point and the Lighthouse.
During the winter of 2018-19
- Lutsen Mountain SnowVenture Holiday TBA
- Grand Marais Christmas Parade - Nov 23, 2018
- O Ole Night Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting - Nov 23
- Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race - Jan 5 -6, 2019
- John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Jan 25 - Feb 2, 2019
- Northern Fibers Retreat Feb 14th - 18th
- North House Winter Series January 2018
- Grand Marais WinterFestTBA
Spring, Summer, and Fall Festivals & Events
- Northern Landscapes Festival - June 1 - June 3, 2018
- Grand Marais Classic Car Show - June (TBA)
- Wooden Boat Show & Summer Soltice Festival - June 22 - 24, 2018
- Fireworks over the Harbor - July 4th
- Grand Marais Arts Festival - July 14 - 15, 2018
- North Shore Water Festival - July 20 - 22, 2018
- North Shore DragonBoat Festival -
- Fisherman's Picnic - August 3 - 5th, 2018
- Grand Portage Rendezvous Days & Pow-wow - August 10 -12, 2018.
- Unplugged Fall Festival - Sept 14 - 16th, 2018
- Moose Madness - Oct 19 -21, 2018
- Winter's Gathering North House Folk School - Nov 16 - 18, 2018
More Grand Marais Links - things to see and do
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2017
Duluth's amazing Bentleyville Duluth Christmas Lights Village opens Nov 17, 2018
Enjoying lake breezes and views at the Canal Park Brewery Beer Garden - Canal Park.
Lake Superior Camping
& Campground Directory
Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.