Tahquamenon Falls is one of the most impressive waterfalls around Lake Superior. Tahquamenon Falls State Park
Grand Marais Minnesota and its beautiful harbor are often voted as the favorite village around Lake Superior by circle tour travelers.
Sun bathing, swimming, and rock picking on Madeline Island's Town Park Beach
See our Video of Rainbow Falls
10/12/2017 Peak Fall Color is here in most places - See our Fall Color Report & Scenic Drive page.
Weather Forecast. The forecast for September around Lake Superior is for tempertures to be near normal, highs in the mid 60s to low 70s, with things cooling off in the evening. Pleasant weather for a hike and all outdoor activities
Some recent trips & new posts.
This spring bad weather and black flys caused us to miss getting out early in May to agate hunt and rock pick, hoping to be among the first ones to look over what new gems the winter ice has brought ashore. But the 30 day weather forecast for September should be ideal for walking the beaches. If you like to rock pick and look for agates, see our guides to Best Agate & Rock Picking Beaches.
In late August, we took a trip to Cornucopia where we took a terrific boat cruise of the Apostle Island Sea Caves. We've visited them in the winter when you can hike across the ice, but seeing them in the summer gives you a whole new canvas of Mother Nature's work.
In early July we spent time along the Minnesota North Shore. One benefit of all the recent rainfall is that the North Shore waterfalls are looking great - a rare summertime bonus to the always scenic hikes along the many rivers along the North Shore.
In May we had some good luck Agate Hunting at Black River Harbor plus did a video of the roaring Rainbow Falls..
To help you plan your upcoming visit to Lake Superior communities, check out our links for weather forecasts at selected points around Lake Superior on our Weather Reports page. If you select the monthly view you can see the historical average highs and lows for the current and subsequent months.
To follow are some of the summer 2017 events in Lake Superior towns and villages you might enjoy.
Selected upcoming Fall
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
-- Apostle Islands Lighthouse Celebration August 29 - Sept 16th
-- Ashland MuralFest & Car Show - September 9th
-- Rock On Agate and Rock Hound Festival - September 9 - 10th
-- Duluth KIA Drag Race & Car Show - Sept 9 - 10, 2017
-- Hawk Weekend, Hawk's Ridge - Sept 15 -17
-- Steam Train Excursions - Duluth-Two Harbors - Aug 18 to Sept 17
-- Bayfield Apple Festival - October 6th - 8th
-- Bentleyville Tour of Lights - Nov 18 - Dec 26th
Check our pages of individual villages and communities for other events and back here later for updates on upcoming events.
What's new on SuperiorTrails.com?
Here's a few recently added or updated articles and features that might interest you:
2017 Grandma's Marathon
- See our article and photos from the 2017 race.
Devil's Island Sea Caves
- We've posted a new video of the Sea Caves from our latest Apostle Islands Boat Cruise.
Agate Success at Little Girls Point
- pictures from our rock picking and beach agate hunting trip in May of 2016. Also cool video of Rainbow Falls.
Best Lake Superior Agate Beaches
- pictures and maps with guides to the top agate hunting and rock picking beaches around the lake.
Madeline Island Town Campground
- pictures and information on the newly remodeled Madeline Island Township Park and Campground, adjacent to Big Bay State Park.
- UP 200 Dog Sled Race
- pictures and article on the 24th running of this 240 mile Iditarod qualifying race
- Munising Snowshoe and Cross-Country Ski Trails
- pictures, links to trail maps, and article on XC ski and snowshoe trails in Pictured Rocks National Park and the Munising area of the Upper Peninsula.
- Lake of the Clouds Scenic Overlook, Porcupine Mountains State Park
- We did our a recent all color trip to the Porcupine Mountains and the Black River Harbor Scenic Byway. Close to Peak Color in the Porkies but a little ahead of peak color at Black River Harbor. Also see our new Hiking & Back-Packing Guide to the Porcupine Mountains.
- Rock On with Lake Superior Agates
- A fun festival and convention of Lake Superior beach rock picking and agate hunting enthusiasts. A fun time and we learned quite abit about collectiing and identifying Lake Superior Agates
- The Duluth Tall Ships Festival
- We had a great time seeing all the classic tall ships in Duluth. They came again in 2016.
- Copper Harbor, Michigan
- some new pictures from the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula
- Keweenaw Scenic Drive
- article and pictures from on our one day scenic drive around the entire Keweenaw peninsula
- Raspberry Island Lighthouse
- We took the Apostle Islands cruise and guided tour of the Lighthouse
- Best Bars & Burgers in Superior, WI
- we added a review of the Shack Smokehouse & Grille in north Superior
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2017
Lake Superior Camping
& Campground Directory
Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.
See the lighthouses on an Apostle Islands Cruise.