CoronaVirus & Travel around Lake Superior.
Draconian measures to prevent the spread of the Wuhan COVID-19 Virus has substantially affected camping, travel and recreation around Lake Superior and to Lake Superior Communities.
We'll periodically update this page as more information comes in regarding places that are closed or open for business . . . as well as creative plans facilities have made to allow travel and recreational pursuits while ensuring protection from the Virus.
Here's the latest info we have on COVID-19 and Lake Superior Travel & Recreation. (May 22, 2020)
- Bayfield, Ashland & Washburn Areas - Bayfield Chamber & Visitor Bureau Chamber staff will continue to answer phone calls, respond to emails, and the Visitor Center will remain open for the public to get materials. Staff will not be available for person to person contact but will continue to do their jobs to the fullest extent possible. If you need to talk to staff please do so via phone or email. After May 26th staff may be available to personally help visitors.
Restaurants are opening up offering outside seating, take-out, and in some cases inside seating with recommended social distance spacing.
The Ashland & Washburn municipal Campgrounds will be opening May 24th. Big Bay Town Park CG and Big Bay State Park on Madeline Island & Copper Falls State Park opens June 1st. We are collecting information on other area campgrounds. For info on Bayfield business openings and closures go here.
- Wisconsin Camping - As of May 24, public and private campgrounds may open for overnight camping. There may be limited services initially so check with the individual campground on degree washrooms, etc. are open and available for use. The DNR website isn't providing the most up to date information on Wisconsin State Parks (last updated May 13) but check out their covid-19 web page for possible updates.
- Minnesota North Shore - Minnesota State parks, recreation areas, campgrounds, and other public lands remain open to the public for people to enjoy; however, many supportive facilities are not open. Overnight camping camping in public and private campgrounds will be allowed effective June 1, 2020. Some facilities, like showers, may not be open. People are advised to bring their own sanitizing materials, and other protective measures.
As of June 1, restaurants will also be opening up offering outside seating, take-out, and in some cases inside seating with recommended social distance spacing.
Get more information on camping and recreation services here.
- Superior Hiking Trail - The Trail itself is open! But the office in 2 harbors is closed for the present. Access for service is available on the Internet and via e-mail. As of April 1, 2020, the annual spring trail clearing weekends and other projects in May are postponed till further notice. They are hopeful virus conditions will not cancel the annual Guided Hike series, which will begin in early June.
See Trail Conditions Report here and latest May 18th Trail & Camping Status Report.
- Michigan Upper Peninsula Parks - Michigan is attempting to provide some access to state parks and recreation while taking measures to protect the public and staff from the spread of the Virus. Parks are open but all facilities, like bathrooms, are closed. Unfortunately at this writing, camping is closed in Michigan State Parks through at least June 21, 2020.
For the duration of the COVID-19 situation, they are waiving the need for the Recreation Passport for entry at state parks and other destinations.
Get more information here on openings and closings for Camping and Recreation in Michigan.
- Ontario Parks Camping - Ontario Parks will remain closed until May 31st. Read more here.
CoronaVirus Impacts on Camping & Travel in other States
Here's a useful website for updates on CoronaVirus impacts on camping and recreational services at other State Parks.
Planning Your Road Trip
The Lake Superior Circle Tour Scenic Drives
The regular pages of Superior Trails profile the regions around the lake in more depth, including lots of pictures to better appreciate what each area has to offer. Simply click on the Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan UP, or Ontario links in the left hand column for a detailed directory to that regions attractions.
A second part of web site is our Lake Superior Travel & Trip Planner. It is essentially a condensced version of the regular site that includes maps, mileage data, and some of our recommended stops and highlights around the lake.
Traveling the Lake Superior Circle Route by Motorcycle. While these pages and our Travel Planner are suitable for all means of motor travel, those planning a motorcycle tour can use our Travel Planner & our Website to identify desireable stops and stays and then enter them in the the "Plan My Ride" map service at Ride Lake Superior website to generate your customized map.
Directory to our pages on camping, hiking trails and public campgrounds found while touring around Lake Superior, organized by state and province.
Enjoy rock collecting or rock hunting? Lake Superior offers a number of agate beaches with both Lake Superior Agates and numerous other beach stones that can be polished into gemstones.
Lake Superior Agates
Beach Stones & Rock Identification
Finding & Identifying Lake Superior Agates - - -
Agate, Rock & Gemstone Tumbling - - -
- - - Is this a Lake Superior Agate?
Learn how to tell the difference between agates and other attractive beach stones, including identifying agate-wanna bees . . . beach rocks that look like agates.
Lake Superior Agate & Rock Hound Festival
Had a great time at this event - see our pictures, story, and a video.
Rock Tumbling & Polishing Agates
Special care is needed to ensure you don't fracture your prized Lake Superior Agate.
Best Agate Hunting & Rock Picking Beaches
A new series with pictures and maps to our favorite agate hunting and rock hound beaches around Lake Superior.
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2019