We were in the Ironwood area at the end of September, about a week early for the best fall color along the National Forest Scenic Byway from Ironwood to Black River Harbor. The best fall color was actually in Ironwood at the Curry Park campground.
Even though it wasn’t full color along the Scenic Byway, it was a beautiful sunny day for a drive and the fall landscape was quite colorful even so. On the way to the harbor we passed Powderhorn Mountain Ski Area with attractive splashes of color on the slopes. The best fall color was along the road at higher elevations a few miles before we got to the harbor. Once we got to the harbor itself, color change was more modest.
Fall color close to Lake Superior typically comes a week or two later than color at higher elevations 10 miles away from the lake shore. One of the problems with going a little later than we did, to catch maximum fall color close to the lake, is that some years the October winds will blow all the leaves off the trees before you arrive!
Black River Scenic Byway Fall Color Pictures
Links to More Upper Peninsula Camping and Travel Attractions
- Best Lake Superior Fall Color Drives
- Upper Peninsula Camping Along the Lake Superior Circle Tour
- Best Lake Superior Agate Hunting Beaches
- Wisconsin Upper Peninsula Fall Color Lake Superior Scenic Drive
- Copper Peak Adventure Ride
- Superior Trails article – Visiting Ironwood Michigan
- Superior Trails article – Black River Harbor Scenic Area
- Black River Harbor Scenic Area Waterfalls
- Superior Trails article – Porcupine Mountains Attractions
- Camping, Rock Picking Little Girls Point
- Camping, Saxon Harbor
- More Attractions Ironwood Area