Review Ironwood, Michigan Municipal Campground
Curry Park is on the Western edge of Ironwood, located on US Highway 2. It is a city owned campground and is located next to Gogebic County Fairgrounds.
Until recently we didn’t realize the campground was as extensive as it is. We had the impression it was primarily a tenting campground with only a few sites suitable for RVs. We also had the impression it wasn’t well-maintained; it looked somewhat “rustic.” In the fall of 2021 finding a vacant RV campsite was a challenge due to the “dampendic” inspired popularity of camping and RVing. So we decided to check out Curry Park as it appeared they had a vacancy. And we discovered it is actually a decent camping and RV option.
Curry Park Campground Facilities
Curry Park has 56 campsites, all with electric hookups. Some of the hookups are 50 amp, others 30 or 20 amp. 9 of the sites include full hookups – electric, water, and sewer. Each site has a fire ring/grill and most of the sites have a picnic table. The full-service bath house has sinks, flush toilets and showers and is quite well-maintained. There is a fresh water spigot for RVs and campers and an RV sewage dump station. Mature trees provide shade for almost all of the websites. For kids there’s a small playground.
For travelers and vacationers, just across the street (Hwy 2) is a State of Michigan Welcome Center. Here you can learn about interesting things to see and do around Ironwood and the Upper Peninsula.
What We Like About Curry Park Campground
- Mostly First Come, First Serve Site Reservations. So even during busy camping periods if you arrive there mid-week you have a reasonable chance of getting a site.
- Reasonable camping fees – very good value for full service campground
- Clean, well-maintained bathrooms and showers
- Spacious, Shaded sites
- Downtown Ironwood short distance away
- Convenient to Scenic Attractions – Black River Harbor and Porcupine Mountains
What You May Not Like about Curry Park
- You will hear some traffic noise on Hwy 2 – the main road between the UP and Wisconsin
- Much of the campground is on a hill so getting your RV level on some campsites will be a challenge
- Bigger rigs will have some trouble negotiating the roads in the park
- Some sites are missing picnic tables
Links to More Upper Peninsula Camping and Travel Attractions
- Curry Park Website
- Upper Peninsula Camping Along the Lake Superior Circle Tour
- Best Lake Superior Agate Hunting Beaches
- Superior Trails article – Visiting Ironwood Michigan
- Superior Trails article – Black River Harbor Scenic Area
- Superior Trails article – Porcupine Mountains Attractions
- Camping, Rock Picking Little Girls Point
- Camping, Saxon Harbor
- More Attractions Ironwood Area