Happy Hikers at the top of Sweetheart's Bluff
When we camp at the Municipal Campground, we usually get a fair amount of exercise just walking to and around downtown Grand Marais and the harbor. But for additional exercise and scenic views we take a hike out to Artists Point or up to the top of Sweetheart's Bluff.
Artists Point is the wooded "island" at the end of the spit of land that forms the natural harbor of Grand Marais. The lighthouse is at the end of the breakwater.
The trail to Artists Point and the Lighthouse Breakwater is behind the Coast Guard Station. (click on the map below for details)
< < < Jo relaxing at Artists Point while I hiked out to the end of the peninsula.
The trails around Artists Point aren't marked but you can see some traffic patterns that others often follow. And kids love to explore new ways to get around.
The west end of Artist's Point leads to the breakwater and lighthouse.
Walking along the top of the narrow concrete breakwater can be tricky.
Here's a photo from the top of Sweetheart's Bluff hiking trail.
Artists Point is on the right
at the end of the spit of land in the center of the photo.
The Sweetheart's Bluff Trail Head is at the western end of the Municipal Campground. See the picture from Google Maps. > > >
Once at the top you can return along a trail that leads to the lake front and scenic overlooks (see picture). This then joins the wheelchair friendly lake view trail that returns to the trail head.
Other Grand Marais Hiking
Other hiking & scenic vistas can be had at the nearby Pincushioin Mountain, Devil Track River Gorge, Kadunce River and Cascade River Trails. For more info see our article and photos on Fall Hiking in Grand Marais area.
Some Grand Marais Area events, things to see and do
Spring, Summer, and Fall Festivals & Events
- Northern Landscapes Festival - May 31 - June
- Grand Marais Classic Car Show - June (TBA)
- Grand Marais Block Party - June
- Wooden Boat Show & Summer Soltice Festival - June 3 - 25, 2021
- Fireworks over the Harbor - July 4th
- Grand Marais Arts Festival - July 10 - 11, 2021
- North Shore Water Festival - July 20 - 21, 2019
- Fisherman's Picnic - August First Weekend
- Grand Portage Rendezvous Days & Pow-wow - August TBA
- Unplugged Fall Festival - September
- Moose Madness - October
- Winter's Gathering North House Folk School - November
- Lutsen Mountain SnowVenture Holiday TBA
- Grand Marais Christmas Parade - November
- O Ole Night Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting - November
- Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race - January
- John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon January-February
- Northern Fibers Retreat Feb 14th - 18th
- North House Winter Series January
- Grand Marais WinterFestTBA
More Grand Marais Links - things to see and do
Grand Marais Municipal Campground
North House Folk School
Grand Marais Playhouse
Grand Marais Area Tourism Association
Next Stop on Lake Superior Tour: Crossing into Canada and Kakebeka Falls
SuperiorTrails.com - Reinhold Development - 2021
John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon
Duluth to Grand
Minnesota North Shore
Winter - Michigan UP
Winter - Wisconsin Winter - Minnesota
Winter - Sault Ste Marie.
Duluth's Enger Park and Enger Park Tower.
Grand Marais DragonBoat Festival & Race
See our review of Superior National Golf Course
Minnesota North Shore
Along Lake Superior
Things to Do and See in Duluth, Minnesota
Enjoying lake breezes and views at the Canal Park Brewery Beer Garden - Canal Park.
Hiking and Camping Guides & Books
Best Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.
Camping along the Lake Superior Circle Drive.
Scenic Fall Color
Skyline Drive offers best views of Fall Color in Duluth